Trying to find healthy options for lunch box snacks, something that I can also grab for a quick snack that isn’t full of sugar isn’t easy… especially with how “the boys” love their sugary treats. These bars are great and hit pretty much all the boxes. They have a slightly sweet taste thanks to the maple syrup, they are a quick snack thanks to the fact they are bars and being made from carrots, oatmeal and dates, they are actually good for you! Yay for oatmeal, carrot and date bars lol!
These are the ingredients I used to make the bars.
To begin, I mixed together the egg, milk, vegetable oil, maple syrup and vanilla in the bowl of my stand mixer until well combined.
Next I added the oatmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mixed until just combined.
Then added the shredded carrots and chopped dates, mixing just until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
I pressed the mixture into a 9 x 13 baking pan lined with parchment paper.
And baked it at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until it was nice and brown on top and the it was cooked through. When a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Once it was fully cooled, I cut it into squares, set them on a plate and added them to lunches each day or grabbed one as a quick pick me up as needed throughout the day! Delicious!
Healthy Oatmeal, Carrot and Date Bars
- 2 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer, mix together egg, milk, vegetable oil, maple syrup and vanilla until well combined.
- Add oatmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix until just combined.
- Add carrots and dates and mix just until they are evenly distributed throughout batter.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, until top is nicely browned and toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to fully cool before cutting into squares.