I have had this recipe for years, and haven’t made it in years. I am sure everyone has a version of the “Magic” squares recipe that they love and make over and over again. This would be mine if I actually ever remembered about it when I feel like baking lol. I did however make this recipe the other day for lunch box snacks and thought I would share the recipe.
Here are my ingredients for making these squares… except for the milk… as usual I forgot to include something in the ingredients pictures 😦
I began by mixing together the graham crumbs, melted margarine and first amount of shredded coconut until crumbly.
I pressed the mixture into a parchment paper lined baking pan.
Next I drizzled and spread half of the condensed milk over the graham base and sprinkled that with half of the chocolate chips.
I sprinkled half of the second amount of coconut and half the peanuts over this and pressed it down with a fork.
For the caramel sauce, I unwrapped (I swear unwrapping the caramels took longer than the rest of the recipe!) the caramels and placed them in a medium bowl with the milk.
I microwaved it on high heat for about 30 seconds until I could stir the caramel mixture smooth.
I drizzled the caramel sauce over top of the condensed milk, chocolate chips, coconut and peanuts in the pan.
And then repeated the layers of condensed milk, chocolate chips, coconut and peanuts, again pressing down with a fork.
I baked it at 350 degrees for about 25 – 30 minutes, until the top was nicely browned.
I allowed the squares to completely cool before cutting it into squares, all ready to pack in lunch boxes the rest of the week…. if they last that long lol!
Caramel “Magic” Squares
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Baking Time: 25 – 30 minutes Servings: 24 squares
- 1 1/4 cup graham crumbs
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 3 tbsp. butter/margarine, melted
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups chocolate chips
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- 15 caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In medium sized bowl, combine graham crumbs, first amount of coconut and melted butter/margarine until crumbly.
- Press mixture evenly into prepared baking pan.
- Drizzle and spread half of the condensed milk over the graham crumb base.
- Sprinkle half the chocolate chips, coconut and peanuts over the condensed milk.
- In a medium bowl, place unwrapped caramels and milk and microwave on high heat for about 30 seconds until the caramels melt enough to stir it into a smooth sauce.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over top of bottom layers.
- Repeat condensed milk, chocolate chips, coconut and peanut layers, again pressing down with a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes, until top is nicely browned.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.