Now, I call this a casserole but it really has more of a chili consistency than casserole but I’m still sticking with that name. As we talked about last summer with our Who says Crock Pots are only for Winter post, crock pot recipes are great for when you don’t feel like bbqing and it’s too hot to turn on the oven, while still getting a proper meal!
Here are the ingredients I used to make it.
I browned the ground beef in the microwave until browned and juices ran clear before draining it and adding the taco seasoning packet and 1/2 cup of water.
I spread this mixture into the bottom of my lightly greased crock pot bowl.
I topped this with the can of beans (in tomato sauce), spreading it evenly over the ground beef mixture.
Next came the diced tomatoes. I spread them over the bean layer.
Next I mixed together the cheddar soup with the milk until well combined and then poured this mixture over top of the layers in the crock pot.
I cooked this on low heat for about 4 to 5 hours.
I sprinkled the grated cheese on top after the 4 hours and let it melt for about 15 minutes.
And then finished by sprinkling the crushed Doritos on top before serving.
I scooped it into bowls and sprinkled a bit more of the crushed Doritos on top before serving!
Crock Pot Taco Casserole
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 4 – 5 hours Servings: 4
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can beans in tomato sauce
- 4 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 1 cup crushed Doritos
- Lightly grease crock pot bowl.
- Cook ground beef in microwave until browned and juices run clear. Drain.
- Add taco seasoning and water and stir to combine.
- Spread ground beef mixture into the bottom of prepared crock pot bowl.
- Top with beans, evenly spread over ground beef mixture.
- Sprinkle diced tomatoes evenly over bean layer.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and soup.
- Pour soup mixture over all layers.
- Cook on low heat for 5 – 6 hours.
- Sprinkle top with grated cheese and allow to melt, about 15 minutes.
- Top with crushed Doritos before serving.