This is Chris’ favourite potato recipe. I have been making it for years and do change it up once in a while by switching up the cheese and adding things such as green onions or broccoli. The base recipe is always the same, it’s just a matter of what you decide to add into it!
This is what I started out with today. I decided I wanted to try it with a Garlic & Herb grated cheese I found at the grocery store! (You will see in the picture that I had already baked my potatoes ahead of time)
The first thing to do, if you haven’t already is to bake your potatoes. You can prepare this with freshly baked potatoes, just let them sit for a little bit so you can handle them, or with prebaked potatoes like I did. I baked them the night before with dinner so they would be ready for today and this recipe.
Next you cut the potatoes in half, lengthwise and then scoop out the inside, leaving about a 1/2 cm still on the skin. Scoop the “white” of the potato into a mixing bowl.
Add your potato “shells” to a greased baking pan.
In the mixing bowl, you are going to add 1 cup of Mayonnaise, 1 cup grated cheese and 2 tsp. garlic powder (which I forgot to add to the picture).
Beat this with your electric mixer until the potatoes are mashed, for lack of a better word.
This is where I add milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time until I reach the consistency I want. I ended up adding about 4 Tbsp. but this is down to personal preference.
Note: These are great on the bbq in an aluminum pan as well, but if you are cooking them that way I would leave it at 2 Tbsp.
Now it’s time to refill the potato shells with the potato mixture we just made. Divide it evenly between the potato shells.
Next I sprinkle the potatoes with more grated cheddar, about 1/2 cup in total and then bacon bits.
Sprinkle the tops with a little bit of Paprika and pepper to taste.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 – 45 minutes uncovered until cheese is melted and crispy on top! Serve hot.
Alternately, if cooking on the bbq, I cook them uncovered as well, on the top shelf of the bbq for about 25 – 30 minutes away from direct heat.
Chris’ Favourite Potatoes – Twice Baked Potatoes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes (after baking potatoes) Cooking Time: 30 – 45 minutes Servings: 2 – 4
- 2 Very Large Potatoes, Baked
- 1 1/2 Cups Grated Cheese, divided
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 – 4 Tbsp. Milk
- 1/4 Cup Bacon Bits
- 1 Tsp. Paprika
- Pepper to Taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease baking pan.
- If you haven’t already, bake potatoes.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise, scoop out insides into mixing bowl.
- Place Potato Shells in prepared baking pan. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, add to potatoes the mayonnaise, 1 cup grated cheese and garlic powder. “Mash” potatoes with electric hand mixer.
- Add milk 1 Tbsp. at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Scoop potato mixture into shells in prepared baking pan, dividing mixture evenly.
- Sprinkle potatoes with remaining grated cheese, then bacon bits.
- Sprinkle paprika and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 – 45 minutes until cheese is melted and crispy on top.
Shown here with Honey Garlic Pork Chops!