This recipe is very easy, the potatoes end up all garlicky and the cheese and bacon on top are nice and crispy. Something you will definitely want to make for dinner tonight!
Tip – If I am in a hurry I will just “bake” my potatoes in the microwave. I pierce 4 medium potatoes with a knife, place them on the turntable and cook them on high for about 10 minutes.
To make, bake your potatoes, either in the oven or in the microwave and place them in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
Once potatoes are baked, you will place them in a prepared pan and SMASH them. Just take a masher and pressing slowly, push down until potatoes are about an inch high.
In a small bowl, mix together the melted margarine, garlic powder, oregano and parmesan cheese with a whisk until well blended. Spread this mixture even on all 4 SMASHED potatoes, coating them all over.
Sprinkle the grated cheddar, bacon bits and then finally a bit of paprika on each potato. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until they are browned and the cheese is nice a crispy!
Shown here with Salisbury Steak (recipe will be posted soon!), homemade Boston Baked Beans and sliced tomatoes.
“SMASHED” Cheesy Potatoes
Time: 2 hrs. (Including Baking Potatoes in Oven) Servings: 4
- 4 BAKED Medium Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Melted Butter or Margarine
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Cup Grated Cheddar (I used Extra Old Cheddar)
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan
- 1/2 Cup or more Bacon Bits
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 9 x 12 pan.
- SMASH Potatoes in prepared pan. Don’t mash too much or they will be too flat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter or margarine, garlic powder, oregano and grated parmesan.
- Pour butter mixture evenly over the four SMASHED potatoes until well covered.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar and then bacon bits/pieces evenly on potatoes.
- Sprinkle paprika on top of cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is browned and crispy.
Can be made ahead of time, covered and kept in fridge until ready to bake.